Effective Communication Tips for Relationship Building
Communicating with military families, schools, districts, communities, and military installations requires that School Liaisons have the ability to tailor their message and establish relationships across many kinds and types of individuals and organizations.
Here are some tips for School Liaisons communicating across a wide array of audiences:
- If possible, approach communication with a solid understanding of what will be accomplished.
- Have a method or system to track communication with stakeholders.
- Listen closely.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Be clear and patient with explanations.
- Offer additional resources as appropriate.
- Avoid assumptions.
- Use examples when possible.
- Keep communication professional.
There are many reasons why communicating with different types of people can be challenging. Some general obstacles to effective communication School Liaisons should consider based on their audience include
- poor use of language or inappropriate language for the target audience;
- legal issues/obstacles;
- confidentiality agreements;
- commercial sensitivities;
- reluctance to communicate or share;
- cultural differences;
- lack of time;
- information overload or too much useless information; and
- lack of empathy or understanding around the issue.