Lesson 1 Summary
- DoDEA’s mission is to plan, direct, coordinate, and manage schools and education-support programs for eligible dependents of U.S. military personnel and civilian personnel of the U.S. Department of Defense.
- DoDEA operates nearly 200 schools in 12 foreign countries and the United States, serving about 84,000 children.
- DoDEA oversees the Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP), which reimburses families stationed abroad for the cost of most education-related expenses.
- DoDEA supports the educational needs of students who are not enrolled in DoDEA schools or NDSP through programs such as the DoDEA Educational Partnership Program.
- To support the education of military-connected students and ensure their educational opportunities, DoDEA and the U.S. Department of Education have a formal partnership for collaboration.
- DoD established the Interstate Compact on the Educational Opportunities of Military Children to address issues for military-connected children associated with transition and deployment.
Looking Forward: Next, learn about the programs and policies of DoDEA schools.