Module Overview: The Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP) is designed to provide financial assistance and support for the academic success of children who are dependents of military families stationed in foreign locations. The program’s goal is to ensure military-connected children receive a quality education abroad that both meets U.S. graduation standards and prepares for them for college and career success. This module explains important aspects of the eligibility, enrollment, and reimbursement process associated with Non-DoD Schools Program services that will help School Liaisons inform military families how to maximize eligible supports to ensure the best education for their child. School Liaisons play a critical role in assisting families navigate these important services and reimbursements.
- The Non-DoD Schools Program assists military families living abroad in places without high quality instruction in the local community or a DoDEA school.
- Eligibility to attend a non-DoD school at the Federal Government’s expense is limited to command-sponsored dependents assigned to overseas areas where no DoDEA school is available within the commuting area.
- Approval for the enrollment of an eligible minor dependent of a DoD sponsor must be obtained from the DoDEA Non-DoD Schools Program office prior to enrolling a child in a non-DoD school abroad.
- The reimbursement rates for overseas schools and supplemental services are intended to cover those expenses that would otherwise be covered by U.S. public schools.
- Families receiving orders to transfer to an overseas location should first contact the gaining School Liaison to discuss local school options.
- Each geographic region of the Non-DoD Schools Program has assigned personnel.
- Enrollment procedures in the Non-DoD Schools Program can be activated prior to leaving the U.S. or once the family has actually transferred to the new location.
- Families must submit the appropriate documents to the NDSP headquarters.
Looking Forward: Next, learn more about how the U.S. public education system works in Module 4.