Ways School Liaisons Can Be Helpful
In order to provide a useful orientation to families transferring into an installation location, School Liaisons need to be informed about laws governing school choice and the availability of local school options and services. What follows are some suggestions on ways in which to keep up to date:
- Review the U.S. Department of Education document Choosing a School for Your Child, which includes checklists and relevant questions to help parents make an informed choice of school. The document is available online at www.ed.gov/parents/schools/find/choose/index.html.
- Consult the National School Boards Association’s repository of state laws and policies on school choice. It can be found at www.nsba.org/site/index.asp.
- Familiarize yourself with information provided by the Center for Education Reform on the status of school choice across the country. Information can be found at: www.edreform.com/Home/.
- Consider Military OneSource as a useful resource for obtaining information on schools. Users can access the service toll free from the United States at 1-800-342-9647, from overseas at 1- 800-3429-6477, or access the service for a charge from overseas at 1-484-530-5908. In addition, their website at www.militaryonesource.com offers information on school choice issues.
- Review school district and/or state websites for information on school choice and other related programs for students. These websites often provide policy and administrative guidance as well as a point of contact.
- Check with the appropriate school district administrators in the community to verify choice and program options and to gain a better understanding of implementation.