Module Overview: This module provides School Liaisons with a guide to the types of school options that exist across the country for military families, the types of criteria families may consider when choosing a school, and additional ways in which School Liaisons can be helpful in the process of school selection. For families, the issue of school choice can be intensely personal. School Liaisons can provide needed information and resources to ensure that families are making the best and most informed choice for their children.
- School choice gives parents the opportunity to choose the type of school or supplementary program their child attends in order to best meet their child’s needs.
- School choice options vary by state and community.
- In order for military families to take full advantage of their choice options, they need to be informed about the options available in their particular community.
- Variations among school choice options can impact how a student meets curriculum and graduation requirements and should be shared with families.
- School Liaisons need to be informed about laws governing school choice and the availability of local school options and services.
- School Liaisons need to pay attention to changes in policies and their possible effect on school choices and services available to families transferring into an installation.
- The reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) may bring about changes that affect the way schools operate, how student achievement is assessed, and the choices a parent may have among schools in a particular locale.
- School Liaisons can help families understand how schools are performing and assist in providing school data, but are not to advise families on which schools they should enroll their children in. The role of a School Liaison is to provide unbiased information on schools and allow families to interpret and make schooling decisions that will best meet their needs.
Looking Forward: Next, learn about what School Liaisons need to know about how school performance is determined in order to help military-connected families make the best educational decisions for their children.