Module 10: Building and Maintaining Relationships
Module Overview: Welcome to Module 10: Building and Maintaining Relationships. This module will offer information and practical examples to help School Liaisons create sound and productive relationships with key stakeholders. These include community groups, parents, and school officials that can influence the academic success of a military-connected child. Relationship building is a key feature of any School Liaison’s day-to-day duties and is of critical importance to ensure military families are supported.
Learning Objectives: Through this module, School Liaisons will be able to:
- Explain typical state agency, district, and school-level hierarchies.
- Identify important school, district, community, and installation stakeholders that are key to meeting the goals of the School Liaison.
- Identify ways to contact and communicate effectively with different family, school, community, and command stakeholders.
- Identify strategies that inform key school and community stakeholder groups about the unique needs of military-connected children.
- Determine and implement strategies for supporting and/or strengthening programs such as Partners in Education (PIE), Parent Teacher Association (PTA), and Adopt-a-School.
- Work on identifying and strengthening installation-school Local Action Plans and Memoranda of Understanding.
- Develop action plans for schools and build community understanding about meeting the needs of military-connected students.
- Identify and explain best practice examples from various installations and School Liaisons about relationship building with the local school and community.