Module 4: The U.S. Public Education System
Module Overview: Welcome to Module 4: The U.S. Public Education System. This module will explore the organization of the U.S. public education system; provide information about Federal laws that provide assistance and establish some requirements for this system, such as the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA); and consider current trends and prospective policy changes that could impact military-connected children. The information in this module is intended to provide School Liaisons with a basic understanding of K–12 education in the U.S. from which the School Liaison can build more tailored knowledge that is specific to local context.
Learning Objectives: Through this module, School Liaisons will be able to:
- Describe the structure of the U.S. public education system, including governance structures.
- Describe the structure and sources of funding for education in the U.S.
- Explain how Federal policy addresses special student populations such as special needs students and English learners.
- Describe the major components of ESEA.
- Explain current trends in education policy.