Module 6: School Choice
Module Overview: This module provides School Liaisons with a guide to the types of school options that exist across the country for military families, the types of criteria families may consider when choosing a school, and additional ways in which School Liaisons can be helpful in the process of school selection. For families, the issue of school choice can be intensely personal. School Liaisons can provide needed information and resources to ensure that families are making the best and most informed choice for their children.
Learning Objectives: Through this module, School Liaisons will be able to:
- Provide an overview of school choice options in the U.S. education system.
- Provide an overview of specialized programs for students in the U.S. education system.
- Identify variations in policies and school choice options.
- Identify and compare variations in class size, curricula, teacher qualification and general academic performance.
- Identify academic support to augment school-day learning and determine the most appropriate for a given student’s need.
- Identify and implement ways to provide support on school choices to parents/guardians.